I've had to install BOINC many times and kept running into road blocks, so I decided to put together all my steps in one spot.
1. Go to the Rosetta@home website and create an account. While you're there read up on the project.
sudo apt install boinc-manager boinc-client
3. BOINC uses boinc groupname, so you should add the user you'll be editing BOINC config files to the boinc group.
sudo usermod -a -G boinc [user_name]
4. BOINC uses boinc username. If the boinc user is NOT part of the boinc group, then added it.
sudo usermod -a -G boinc boinc
5. Verify boinc user has a home, if not, then create it and change ownership to boinc user and group.
sudo mkdir /home/boinc
sudo chown boinc:boinc /home/boinc
6. I found this page and only needed part of the Optional Setup Hints section. I pulled them out and added them below. I also replaced <username> with boinc. Ignore the strike-through steps.
Open /etc/group in a text editor.
Look for the line starting with boinc:x:
Edit the line to look like boinc:x: : ( will be a number, do not change it)
Save the file and close the editor.
Open a terminal and enter the following commands, substitute boinc for :
sudo ln -s /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg /home/boinc /gui_rpc_auth.cfg
sudo ln -s /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg /var/lib/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
sudo chown boinc:boinc /home/boinc /gui_rpc_auth.cfg
sudo chown boinc:boinc /var/lib/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
sudo chmod g+rw /var/lib/boinc-client
sudo chmod g+rw /var/lib/boinc-client/*.*
Note: If, you receive and error on step 2, delete the file and re-run.
sudo rm /var/lib/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
7. I setup and manage all my Rosetta@home project computers using the GUI BOINC Manager from my laptop. I referenced this page to create the following remaining steps which needed to be done on each Rosetta@home client computer.
8. BOINC client requires a password for remote connections. Using your favorite CLI editor (mine is vim), Update the following file with a password on the first line.
sudo vim /var/lib/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
9. BOINC client initially prohibits remote host connections, so you'll need to add the remote host's name to the following file. In my case I added my laptop's hostname (or ip address).
sudo vim /var/lib/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg
10. Now you're ready to restart the BOINC client service.
sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart
Add Rosetta@home Project
Using the BOINC Manager, connect to each BOINC client and perform the following step to add the Rosetta@home project.
Add Project via Tools menu option. Select Biology and Medicine, then Rosetta@home. Then click Next. Select Yes, existing user and enter your account information.
You should be all set, have fun providing computing power to the Rosetta@home project.